Which is best for my mobile equipment application?
EIC Solutions is a leading provider of air conditioned enclosures and patented air-conditioned transit cases. Our environmentally-controlled equipment protection solutions have been used all over the globe in a wide array of both military and industrial applications. Both the Protector Series Air Conditioned Enclosures and The Defender Series Air Conditioned Transit Cases have their advantages, but which line is best for your mobile application?
The following guide will help you to determine which product will best meet the requirements of your project.
Air conditioned enclosures are available in a number of different configurations. From small wall/surface-mount enclosures to full-size rack and work-station enclosures, there is a solution for most any application. Enclosures are best suited for “fixed-position” installations, meaning that while they are mobile, they won’t be regularly relocated from position to position. These projects could be installed on a trailer, mounted to a vehicle or mounted to piece of heavy machinery. Enclosures are available in powder-coated mild steel (NEMA 4/12), aluminum, and Type 304 or 316 stainless steel (NEMA 4X). They feature a fully welded design and are designed to withstand the harshest environments. EIC’s enclosures are available in a wide variety of standard sizes as well as completely custom configurations.
EIC’s patented thermoelectrically air-conditioned transit cases are a specialized product designed specifically for mobile applications. These shock-mounted rack cases are well-suited for projects that require the regular relocation of equipment from site to site. They provide a weather-proof, environmentally controlled housing for sensitive equipment being fielded in harsh environments. They are designed with mobility in mind and can include handles, casters, tie-down hasps and more for easy transportation as well as loading and loading from vehicles. EIC’s cases are available in standard sizes constructed from roto-molded plastic, aluminum, and TSC as well as customizable configurations made from Fiber Reinforced Plastic (fiberglass in thermoset resin).
Both enclosures and transit cases are excellent mobile equipment mounting and protection solutions. However, there are several differences between the two solutions including Equipment Mounting, Shock and Vibration Protection, and Flexibility of Design.
Enclosures are available with:
- Full-height, adjustable rack rails. Designed for EIA 19” or 23” rack equipment, EIC’s rails are fully adjustable from front to rear and are made to fit the full height of the enclosure.
- Internal Shelves. Available in fixed position or slide-out, shelves can be included with rack enclosures and any custom design. They are good solution if the equipment does not need to be secured or if it needs to be regularly accessed (slide-out shelf only).
- Removable sub-panels. Also referred to as a back plane, these powder-coated steel panels are mounted to stand-offs in the rear of all standard wall-mount enclosures. Equipment is mounted directly to the panel.
Transit cases are available with:
- Internal 19” rack frames. These frames are designed for use with standard EIA 19” rack equipment and are available in a number of predetermined depths. They can be installed within the case in a fixed-position or in a slide-out configuration.
- Internal Shelves. Available in fixed position or slide-out, shelves can be included with rack cases. They are good solution for smaller pieces of equipment that do not fit the standard 19” rack.
Shock and Vibration Protection
One of the benefits of a transit case is the shock-mounted internal 19” rack frame. Since the case will regularly be moved, dropped, or relocated and could be subject to significant vibration, it is imperative that the equipment be shock-isolated. The size and quantity of the shock-mounts is dependent on the total weight of equipment housed within the case. Enclosures do not contain internal shock-mounting. However, vibration isolation is available for enclosures through wire rope isolators mounted to the exterior of the enclosure. This custom option will help to reduce shock and vibe to the enclosure but must be hard mounted between the enclosure and mounting surface.
EIC’s transit cases are designed to be rugged. Many case models have been tested and certified to MIL stds. These cases are regularly used by the military and have a proven track record in the field. They are designed to stack with other cases of the same design for easy transit and storage.
Flexibility of Design
An advantage of an enclosure is the flexibility of design. Because EIC’s enclosures are fabricated from metal, the customizations are virtually limitless. EIC’s enclosures can be made in custom sizes and configured in many types of non-standard arrangements including, custom windows, non-standard dimensions, custom colors, and specialized hardware configurations. They are built to meet industrial standards and to withstand the harshest environments.
Transit cases can be customized if made from fiberglass, but all other materials are limited to a set number of sizes because they are a molded or stamped product.
Many mobile applications have used EIC’s enclosures and transit cases, including:
Air Conditioned Transit Cases:
- Vehicle Mounted IED detect systems
- Counter rocket, artillery, and mortar system
- Deck-launched UAV drone systems
- Mobile weather-monitoring stations
- Satellite calibration equipment
Air Conditioned Enclosures:
- Vehicle mounted cellular signal test system
- Heavy machinery-mounted analysis
- Ship-mounted electronics incl. starters and controls
- Ambulance Narcotic Storage
Both EIC’s patented Air-Conditioned Transit Cases and EIC’s Air Conditioned Enclosures can be excellent solutions for your mobile equipment protection applications. Both product lines protect and environmentally control sensitive equipment. They are available in multiple sizes and configurations with many available customizations and options. Please contact one of EIC’s knowledgeable sales engineers to determine which product line will best meet your needs.